Here are some links to articles and papers I have written or contributed to and to interviews in which I have talked about responsible investment. You can find my blog pieces here.
- June 2016: The elephant in the room of responsible investment: people, leadership, authenticity, values and culture. An interview recorded after I had chaired a session at the Responsible Investor Europe conference in London.
– 3 November 2015: Action on Climate: A Practical Guide for Fiduciaries
I worked with the Service Employees International Union and the Responsible Endowments Coalition in the US to produce this guide for small and midsized pension funds, endowments and foundations on how to address climate change.
– A report I wrote for the UNEP Inquiry into the Design of a Sustainable Financial System – 'Financial Reform, Institutional Investors and Sustainable Development – A Review of Current Policy Initiatives and Proposals for Further Progress'. It highlights in particular the need for improved asset owner governance to drive sustainability through the investment chain, curbing short-termism and ensuring that aset managers' incentives are aligned with asset owners' long-term objectives. The Inquiry's final report, setting out a framework for policy across the whole the financial system that promotes sustainable development, is here.
– Response to the UK Department for Work and Pensions consultation on changes to the Investment Regulations on pension trustee disclosures (April 2015). This follows on from the UK Law Commission's report on fiduciary duty, which itself followed the Kay Review of UK Equity Markets and Long-Term Decision-Making.
– The Value of Responsible Investment, published by the Investment Leaders Group at the University of Cambridge.
– The Big Picture of Responsible Investing – an interview on the CFA Institute’s Enterprising Investor blog.
– Responsible investment – what’s driving interest among the world’s largest asset owners? – article in Professional Investor, the magazine of the CFA Society of the UK
– The report of the Strategy Council for the Norwegian Government Pension Fund on the Fund’s approach to responsible investment. I was a member of the Strategy Council.
– An interview on responsible investment in private equity
– … and one on RI, fiduciary duty and differences between Europe and the US
– … and one more (where I look a bit younger) from my time at ABP.